27 December 2011

The Thief - told by Maharaji

 

a story portraying 
the hidden treasure within the heart

There was a man and he left his home, he went to the big town to earn money. And he worked and he worked very hard and he made a lot of money. So, one day he decided he is going to go back home. So, he was on his way home. Walking, walking, walking. And a thief, looked at him and became interested. Looks like he might have some money, may be I can steal it from him. So, he joined him in the walk and they started talking.
The thief said, "Where have you been?"
And the man said, "Oh I have been to the town for many years, I went to the big town and I earned a lot of money. And now I am going home."
Thief said, "Great, Can I join you? Can I be your friend?"
So, that evening they checked into a little inn, and they both checked into the same room. And the time came, the man got ready, took a shower and he said, "Come on lets go have dinner."
The thief said, "You go ahead, I will be right with you."
Few minutes past and the finally the thief came and he sat down and they had dinner. And the next day, they could see that the village where the man had come from was very close by.
Then the thief said, "Listen, I must confess. I am not your friend. I am a thief, and when you told me, that you had a lot of money, I became very interested in following you. And every day that you used to go down for dinner. I used to search the room everywhere looking for this money, I didn't find it. I just want to know were you just joking with me? Or do you actually have the money."
And the man said, "Of course I have the money, let me show it to you."
Then he showed him all this gold that he had carried.
The thief said, "Where was it? You didn't take it to the dining room with you. Where was it?
The man said, "I knew you were a thief. I could smell it. So, everyday, before I would go down to have dinner, while you were still taking a shower. I would take this money, and I would put it under your pillow. Because I knew, you would look everywhere except under your own pillow."
Looking for peace is the same way. We look for peace on the outside, search for it everywhere, but we forget to look within ourselves. That's where peace it, it is within each one of us.





No comments: